Saturday, February 23, 2013

Another Krueger, another bird



The Krueger who survived his encounter with the Bobwhite Quail in 1961 was a bold and enthusiastic young fellow with a culinary habit may have led to his demise a year or two later.  He loved Japanese beetles and patrolled the top of the grape arbor, feasting.  Dad found him under the grape arbor, beyond resuscitation by the vet, and blamed it on the damn beetles.  Who knows.

Fast forward to the summer of 1966.  Beth could walk, I was hugely pregnant with Shelly and my husband brought home a kitten.  Because pets were not allowed we drew all the apartment curtains and lived in semi darkness until we moved the week after Shelly was born.  Krueger was named in honor of the late Krueger, who was named for college friend.  I’ve named many cats after friends.

In spite of living in semi darkness the first five months, Krueger had a happy and expansive personality.  He and Beth were fast friends and playmates.  She drug him around; he invented the game of chase Beth and knock her down.  Round and round the short dividing wall between the kitchen and living room, then Krueger would double back and jump on her chest, knocking her down.  Laughter, squeals from two year old Beth and the game recommenced.

We moved from the apartment to a house to another house in Krueger’s long life, without ruffling a whisker, but most of his years were spent in our Mentor house.  Krueger started the cat trail that led from one corner of the back yard, diagonally to the elm tree then straight into the back garage door that led to the door into the house.  In twenty years there I watched that cat trail, used by all my felines, turn to hard pack with no grass and visible as a depression under the snow.

My neighbor across the street called me one evening to come get my cat’s litter out from under his porch.  “But my cat is a male.”  “Well, he’s the father!” “My cat is neutered.”  “Oh, please get these kittens!”  I don’t recall if I did.

I was gifted a canary once, in a Taj Mahal cage.  Harry Canary led to Carrie Nation, the finch, and her husband and babies, and a parakeet each for my daughters. There was a cat population to deal with too; Krueger, Phoebe Snow and BoomBoom.  The solution was to hang the cages by hooks in the ceiling.  This led to hard packed areas in the carpeting underneath; cats sitting patiently, waiting for a bird to fall.  It never happened.

Somewhere around the age of thirteen or fourteen, Krueger began to decline; his liver rapidly failing.  Dr. Kroh, our wonderful vet, took good care of all my animals.  He put Krueger’s throat back in his body after a failed encounter with a pair of Airedales.  He put a pin in BoomBooms front leg when the shattered bone couldn’t be rejoined.  The last time he saw Krueger Dr. Kroh said take him home, make him comfortable for a few days.

We put Krueger on a warm bed under the kitchen table, food and water under his nose.  We carried him out occasionally to relieve himself, and he watched the family activity from his spot.  At Saturday chore time Shelly spread papers on the table and took down her parakeet to clean his cage.  The first time ever the parakeet jumped straight out to have a look at the big world.  He escaped outstretched hands over and over.  He landed on the floor, strutted right past the helpless cat.  Krueger stretched his neck, went chomp and had his bird.

Krueger died the next day.  But think about it.  All his life waiting and then the bird walked straight into his mouth.


Krueger was borrowed from the internet

22 comments:

  1. Good things come to those who wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness you know how to tell a story!! I want to feel sorry for the bird (had a parakeet myself when I was a young girl) but I want to high-five the cat too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was tiny my parents had a cat called Moggy and a bird called Jenny. Jenny would perch on Moggy's back for a ride around our flat.One night Dad went to bed,switched the light off in the living room..heard a flutter then a thump...Jenny was in Moggy's mouth.Moggy didn't recognise his friend in the dark.Bye bye Jenny.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. how sad for Shelly that her canary met it's demise right before her very eyes, but you gotta say yay for Krueger. Life was now complete and he let go. great story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So the little bird knew to fulfill the wish of the cat. There is a thought that says no animal's life is take. Each gives its body to the one asking. Sure looks like that here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a story! That's amazing how Krueger got to feast on that bird before his own demise. Krueger sounds like quite the personality and your other cats are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Talk about mixed feelings. That must have been quite a moment. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, what a story! I didn't see that coming with Krueger. But his last day was very comfortable indeed!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure if I feel sorry for the bird or raise a cheer for Krueger who was a fighter to the end.
    Merle......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Might you call that the joy of death? Fascinating story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! That is just the most incredible story!!! What a life for Krueger, by that was really a bird brain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad Krueger died happy at least, sorry about the bird though. I love the name Boom Boom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like Krueger died happy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A cat couldn't ask for a better end. (The same could not be said for the bird-brained parakeet. Poor Shelly.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did NOT take the kittens. But there is another story about the Krueger look-alike who spent a winter fooling both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Reminds me of a budgie I had. It spent two years trying to learn to fly and then when he one day managed a lap around the room he settled down and died two weeks later. It was as though he had achieved the one thing he wanted in life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great story! There's a moral here, but it's got to be more than waiting for good things to come to you. Perhaps it is to make sure there is always an unfilled goal?

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a surprise ending, but very satisfying. Publishing Syndicate, Not Your Mother's Books...On Cats, is seeking stories. This would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great story, Joanne! Cats and birds... they CAN live together, but sometimes it get hairy. We too hung our birds up high from the ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Joanne, I am a cat lover and so your story of Krueger delighted me no end. And despite the fact that I've been a vegetarian for 32 years, I still chuckled at the thought of Krueger chomping down on that canary.

    Because you, too, love cats, I want to tell you about two books that were given me by Dulcy, a cat with whom I lived for 17 1/2 years. The titles are "A Cat's Life: Dulcy's Story" and "A Cat's Legacy: Dulcy's Story." Both are available from Amazon as paper and e-books. This is immodest for me to "toot" my own horn, but many readers have enjoyed meeting Dulcy through these books. Peace.

    ReplyDelete