Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Trinket board with Ojo de Dios


Once I used the little bulletin board for posting important notes.  Now I have a wall sized bulletin board on another wall, and important things on the little one.

Starting at twelve o'clock, a tiny gold lapel pin that says Attitude. They were part of the dress code of a company my daughter worked for.  She gave me one.

One of Beth's first business cards.

A fabric bookmark found by my friend Carol at an antique show.  Probably a give away for a company named Bo-Peep, trademark warranted.

On burlap, something my granddaughter Bekka made in first or second grade.  That is her hand in foil in the middle.  Bekka will be 21 this year.  A friendship bracelet Laura made is hanging on it too, but may be too small to make out.

Next the owl macrame.  Beth made that in a grade school art class.

Larry's whistle.  Larry hired me as the controller of a small company that was swallowed years later by a larger company and when an even larger company swallowed that company the little company was spit out and left to die.  I left before it was spit out.  Larry was not part of the original sale.  He was leaving for health reasons.  He used the whistle at company picnics, and when he left he gave it to me, to be in charge.  He died before he was fifty.  A good man.

Blue mardi gras fish beads.  Someone handed them to me at a show, for good luck.

God's eye.  Ojo de Dios. Wikipedia gives a long account of the Indian spiritual connection of this little object.  It also is a simple  yarn weaving, easy construction for children to understand and do.  Francis made this one; he may have been about five years old.

Santa Claus pencil.  I found the pencil in my Christmas stocking the last year mom was alive.  Jan says it wasn't from her, so I figure it was from mom.

A cartoon Jan once cut out for me.  Two suits with brief cases are passing the door that says Account ant. An ant is working at the desk.  One suit says to another "All this time I thought it was a misprint."  I'm an accountant.  Get it?

That's the story of my God's eye.

19 comments:

  1. A lovely place to keep the important stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a definite 'work of art'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful memory piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the explanation about God's eyes - and I love your bulletin board. I also have one, filled with inconsequential things which mean a LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your treasures. I like it even better that you have them on display instead of packed up in a drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed reading the treasures you have own display it!! I'm sure when you look at it, it brings back lots of memories!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bulletin board as God's Eye. That's fantastic.

    That little aluminum foil hand and Larry's whistle kind of got to me.

    I knew I liked you even before I read this.

    Hugs,

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first God's eye I ever saw was given to me by an elderly lady with whom I boarded one university summer while I worked away from home. It is made with three rounded-type toothpicks, crossed to give six points, and embroidery thread -- so it's quite delicate compared to some. I think of my friend (because that is what she became that summer, despite the age difference) every time I look at it.

    Love your collection of special things ... especially the whistle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bulletin board is a study of your life and your loved ones. Such a tender post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you have turned something as everyday as a notice board, into a piece of art history. Along with everyone else, the whistle story got me. I'm the same as you in that respect. I keep all sorts of mementoes from the past, that look like junk to some, but have meaning to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Treasured memories, beautifully displayed. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful treasures board. I can see the friendship bracelet, it has green and yellow beads.
    I have never made a God's Eye, although I have seen them. They're pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a unique way to keep these mementos fresh in your eye on a bulletin board, so often (as in many of my cases) they are hidden away only to be seen occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You ain't no ant, and you know it, though you work with the industry of one of those creatures. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joanne, I love your new header...at least I think it's new. And I have a similar wall made out of tack board with art projects, love notes, wedding invitations. It makes me smile every time I walk by it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a beautiful way to display all your memories. I love it. You're now making me think of a way to perhaps do something similar someday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How lovely and very special.
    I looked up God's eyes after your last post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. how lovely---i enjoyed this post very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Joanne, many years ago a young friend of mine gave me a God's eye he made. In my 2009 move from Minnesota to Missouri it somehow got lost. Phil's in his 50s now, living in Spain, and the God's eye always reminded me of him and his concerns. But after losing it, I discovered that I remembered him well without any reminders! And yet, like you, I have a bulletin board with treasured items on it. The trove of the past and its relationships. Peace.

    ReplyDelete